ChatGPT triggered a new wave of AI applications, with more than 100 million active users within two months of its launch, making it the fastest-growing application in history. In this regard, its popular application has rapidly heated up the artificial intelligence track. Various industries are facing new challenges, but also ushering in new opportunities. Artificial intelligence will become a ubiquitous tool in the future.
Table of Contents
What is ChatGPT ?
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence chat robot launched by OpenAI. It is based on the GPT-3.5/GPT-4 large model and introduces artificially labeled data and reinforcement learning for training, which becomes the latest breakthrough in artificial intelligence research. ChatGPT interacts with users through dialogue, and has quickly become one of the fastest-growing and most popular applications in the near future by virtue of near-real dialogue and interaction effects. From responding to queries to generating text fragments and even reciting poetry, ChatGPT has quickly become one of the most powerful natural language processing tools.
Why the ChatGPT boom will usher in new opportunities for electronic communication hardware?
Artificial intelligence platforms (including chips, modules, algorithms, and cloud training / reasoning) are not new applications, but after integrating electronics, communications, software, and cloud / edge computing / equipment electronics, they have become artificial intelligencetool platform to improve application performance.
Various AI+ applications are about to practical application, such as ChatGPT dialogue robots, and Tesla will soon introduce AI learning frameworks into autonomous driving. Traditional applications will usher in great changes after the introduction of AI. Therefore, in addition to being widely used in deep learning training and inference of cloud big data, artificial intelligence platforms will also appear in various applications, edge computing and terminals.
Rapid development of AI: promising electronic semiconductor industry chain promising
For the communication / consumer electronics industry, the development of artificial intelligence will reshape the electronic semiconductor infrastructure. The collection, cleaning, calculation, training and transmission of massive data will bring about iterative upgrades in computing power and networks, which will benefit the CPU, GPU, FPGA, ASIC and HBM memory that are widely used in AI data centers and edge high-speed computing. According to relevant data , the global artificial intelligence chip market size will be US$16.86 billion in 2022, and the CAGR is expected to reach 29.7% in 2022-2032.
The accelerated development of artificial intelligence will bring new development opportunities for the development of the electronics industry, and the sub-sectors is expected to continue to benefit:
- Computing chip: AI drives up the volume and price of CPU/GPU/FPGA/ASIC, and there is huge space for localization;
- Memory chips: In 2023, the memory sector will stop falling and rebound, and DDR5 memory is expected to increase in volume. According to relevant data , the CAGR of the memory interface and supporting chip market will reach 28% from 2021 to 2028;
- Ethernet chip: the basis of limited local area network(LAN) communication, the server side has great potential. According to relevant information, the market size of Ethernet switching chips for data centers in China will reach 12.04 billion yuan in 2025;
- Power management chips: Demand is expected to pick up in the second half of 2023. With the increasing demand of cloud computing, artificial intelligence, high-power processors and accelerator cards, the accelerated server voltage has shifted to 48V, and DC-DC has benefited significantly;
- PCB/CCL: AI catalyzes the demand for computing power, and the volume and price of server motherboards and carrier boards are rising. The demand for AI is rising, and the tide of server PCB/CCL upgrade is coming. Computing power has significantly increased the CPU/GPU requirements, and advanced packaging highlights the value of the carrier board;
- Optical chips: With the explosive growth of global data volume, optical communication is gradually rising. According to Lightcounting data, the global optical module market will exceed 20 billion in 2027, and optical chips are the core components of optical modules.
Rapid development of AI: blessing the communication industry
The rapid iteration of AIGC services such as ChatGPT brings a new round of communication infrastructure upgrade opportunities.
On the one hand, ChatGPT has greatly boosted the demand for high computing power, driving server growth and increasing the proportion of AI servers. According to relevant data , as of 2022, the annual shipments of AI servers equipped with GPGPU will account for nearly 1% of the total servers. In 2023, it is estimated that with the support of ChatGPT, the annual growth of shipments will reach 8%, and the CAGR will reach 10.8% in 2022-2026. The growth of AI computing power business of Chinese leading companies such as Inspur and Sugon is expected to accelerate.
On the other hand, ChatGPT drives the upgrading of the cloud computing industry chain, accelerates the commercialization of 800G optical modules, and drives the demand for advanced packaging technologies such as CPO.
According to relevant data , the global TOP5 cloud manufacturers will spend US$1.4 billion on Ethernet optical modules in 2020, and their expenditures are expected to exceed US$3 billion by 2026. 800G optical modules will dominate this market segment from the end of 2025. Sinotech 800G cutting-edge products have received small-scale batch orders, and Suzhou TFC Optical Communication Co.,Ltd and Zhongji InnoLight have already made arrangements in CPO packaging, which is expected to open up a new growth curve.
800G optical module will start to dominate this market segment from the end of 2025. Sinotech 800G cutting-edge products have received small batch orders, and Suzhou TFC Optical Communication Co.,Ltd has been laid out in CPO packaging, which is expected to open a new growth curve.
For the electronics industry, ChatGPT will bring accelerated development of artificial intelligence, and electronic communication hardware will also usher in new opportunities for development in an all-round way. The embrace of the communication electronics industry and artificial intelligence, whether it is the overtaking of the communication electronics industry or the application of artificial intelligence, is a good thing with huge room for imagination.