In recent years, the promotion of energy conservation and emission reduction has brought unprecedented development opportunities to the LED lighting industry, and the development of LED technology has become increasingly mature. LEDs can be found everywhere in everyday mobile phones, TVs, home appliances, cars, and streets. A good LED lighting should consist of four parts: lampshade, LED circuit board, heat sink and cross-current isolated power supply. We can see a small circuit board on the LED lights, which is the core of the entire LED function – LED circuit board.
This article will mainly introduce the relevant content of LED circuit board – including definition, type, function, application, material, design, assembly and so on. We hope to bring you the most comprehensive understanding of LED circuit board and help you find the best quality PCB manufacturing and assembly manufacturers.
What is LED explain
LED (Light Emitting Diode)is a semiconductor light-emitting / display element with a wide range of applications. On the market, LED products include light-emitting diodes, digital tubes, rice tubes, symbol tubes, dot matrix displays, LED backlights, LED lighting, etc. LED is composed of semiconductor material chip, printed circuit board, core wire and shell.
What is an LED circuit board and its function
LED PCBs are used to mount diodes to power LEDs. The LEDs are soldered to the LED circuit board and equipped with a chip that generates light through an electrical connection.
1. Provide stable and reliable output voltage, and the output current can be adjusted according to the size of the load.
2. Light weight and small size. LED circuit boards are lightweight and small in size, which means you can use them in projects that require small, lightweight LED PCBs.
3. Adjust the brightness of each lamp bead easily.
4.Long-lasting. Using LED circuit boards instead of traditional bulbs will save time replacing them because LEDs have a longer lifespan.
5.Eco-friendly. LED circuit boards are mercury-free and therefore free from releasing toxic substances such as mercury into the environment.
6.No RF emission. LED PCBs do not emit RF waves during operation. If RF waves are emitted from a device, they will interfere with other electronic devices and components present in the environment.
Types of LED circuit board
The types and applications of LEDs are not used, and the types of LED circuit boards are different. According to the material and structure, it can be divided into the following categories:
Aluminum LED PCB
Copper-base LED PCB
FR4 LED PCB
Ceramic LED PCB
Hybrid substrate LED PCB
Flexible LED PCB
Rigid LED PCB
Single sided LED PCB
Double layer LED PCB
Application of LED circuit board
Street tunnel lighting
Photovoltaic (solar) lighting
Flashlight and lantern
Displays and indicators
Medical lighting and medical equipment lighting
Lights in a hospital operating room
Factory lighting and more
What material is LED circuit board
LED circuit board is the core of LED lighting and is easy to generate a lot of heat, but it is difficult to cool with traditional methods. Therefore, metal core PCB is widely used in LED applications because of its strong heat dissipation ability, especially aluminum.
Generally, there are two kinds of circuit board materials for LED lights: aluminum substrate and glass fiber board. Because the aluminum substrate has good heat dissipation capacity, high-power LED heats up, so most of the aluminum substrate is used in LED lighting fixtures. FR-4 PCB is a traditional electronic product circuit board, which has the characteristics of good insulation, corrosion resistance, pressure resistance, multi-layer printing, etc., and is widely used in LED products.
Consideration of LED circuit board design
● Choose the right direction: that is, the data and current flow in the circuit. The main concern is how to achieve the flow of the circuit from one end to the other.
● Component placement: In addition to the circuit and the obvious LED, there are many other components that make up the printed circuit board. These components include resistors, capacitors, etc., and components should be placed avoided on the solder side of the board, as the solder is located behind the through-hole side of the board.
● Definition of clear width design: Due to the different currents consumed in the circuit, the design path changes with the size of the traces, which also affects the net width of this design result.
● Cost optimization and budget issues: This is how the overall budget for designing PCBs will rise. Therefore, this must also be considered when designing LED printed circuit board PCBs.
LED circuit board assembly process
LED PCB assembly means mounting all the necessary electronic components, including LEDs, on the printed circuit board. The LED PCB assembly process is:
① Screen print solder paste on the PCB
② Solder paste inspection
③ Place the SMD component on the PCB
④ Reflow soldering connects component pins to the PCB
⑤ Automated Optical Inspection (AOI)
Technology used in LED circuit assembly
● Surface mount technology: Surface mount mounts components directly to the PCB surface. This high degree of automation is very useful for LED applications. Attach the component to a specific location on the panel.Solder paste covering: Apply solder paste to the component pads on the panel. Heat the panel to allow the paste to cure. Check the position of the components on the panel and the solder paste coverage.Clean the panels to remove excess solder paste.
● Through-hole assembly technology: Through-hole assembly involves drilling holes in the PCB, using components to pass through these holes. Use solder to hold the part in place. This method provides a stronger, more durable connection and facilitates effective application at high temperatures.
One-stop LED circuit board manufacturing and assembly company – IBE
|PCB Assembly lines||14 SMT lines|
6 Dip lines，wave soldering process
4 product assembly production workshop
the factory scale: 75000㎡
|SMT Capability||Hour 72,000 CPH chip (0.05sec/CHIP)|
Component size 0402～32×32mm, component height within 15mm( IC, BGA QFP,QFN)
PCB maximum dimensions L700×W460mm
Component package:reel, pipe, tray
|Quality Certificate||ISO 9001|
Disney FAMA certificate
MES system，Traceability System
Although many other PCBs offer excellent functionality, not all PCBs are suitable for LED applications. LED circuit board, especially aluminum-based circuit boards, provide a common foundation for a variety of high-output LED applications with its Powerful heat transfer capacity and durability.